LZW LawCall us: 020 7940 4000

If you are a parent, grandparent or other dependant relative of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK, you can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK.


The following relatives can apply to join a settled person in the UK:

  • Widowed mothers and widowed fathers aged 65 or over; and
  • Parents or grandparents who are travelling together, if one of them is aged 65 or over; and
  • Parents or grandparent aged 65 or over who have entered into a second relationship of marriage or civil partnership but cannot look to the spouse, civil partner or children of that second relationship for financial support. 

If there are exceptional compassionate circumstances, the following relatives may be allowed to join a settled person here if they are living alone outside the UK and are able to provide the evidence set out in the ‘Requirements’ section below:

  • Sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, uncles and aunts over the age of 18; and 
  • Parents and grandparents under the age of 65. 


You must provide evidence that:

  • You are joining or accompanying a person present and settled in the UK or who on the same occasion is being admitted for settlement;
  • You depend wholly or mainly on your settled relative for money;
  • You (and any dependants you have) can and will be maintained and housed adequately, without needing public funds, in accommodation which your settled relative owns or occupies exclusively; and
  • You have no other close relatives in your own country who can support you financially. 

Applications from outside the UK

You must obtain permission to enter the UK as an elderly dependent relative before travelling to the UK. The application should be made at the British diplomatic post in the country where you live.

Applications from inside the UK

If you are already in the UK, it is possible to apply to settle here as a settled person's elderly dependent relative.

British nationality

You will be able apply for British nationality 12 months from the time you were granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK, provided you meet the additional criteria for naturalisation in the UK as a British citizen.

For detailed advice please contact: 

Laya Falsafi This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The information provided on this page is designed to provide general guidance. Nothing in this page constitutes legal advice.

Landau Zeffertt Weir Solicitors

The Counting House
53 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2QN
T: 020 7940 4000
F: 020 7378 8025
E: mail@anthonygold.co.uk

Landau Zeffertt Weir Solicitors has been acquired by Anthony Gold Solicitors. Anthony Gold is Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our firm number is 48050.
Please use this link to see our terms of business and other policies and procedures.